
Doctor issues.. advice.. please!
So, I first met my endochrinologist back in March and really thought she was great, but now she just makes me angry.. Let me tell you why..
1. She talks over me, doesn't let me finish what I'm saying
2. She belittles me
3. She turns everything around and makes me feel like I'm somehow wrong
4. She is completely contradicting
5. She can't read her own notes that she has made on my chart(which are in her handwriting), asking me questions like "who prescribed this for you?" Um, you did Dr..
So I've always had someone with me at every appointment I've gone to (hubs or mom) and they feel the same way so I know it's not just me.. but this last appointment was the worst, mom and I walked out feeling like two kids getting repremanded for doing something wrong and just.plain.angry!
I will give you one example b/c I don't want to bore you with all of them, but want you to get the jest of what I'm dealing with..
Before I had my surgery one of my many questions was when I would start my thyroid replacement meds, she told me not until I had my follow up appt about 2 weeks after. I told her I was going out of town 11 days after my surgery and would be cutting it close to that 2 week mark.. so she "fit me in" to have a follow up appt a little earlier than planned and said we would discuss starting my meds then. A week after my surgery I went to my surgeon's office for my post-op appt with them and was asked if I had started my thyroid meds to which I replied "No, Dr. Widom said we'd discuss that at my appt with her in a few days." My doctor looked surprised at this answer.. flash foward to my appt today with my endochrinologist and the conversation that went like this.."you know Clarissa, people normally start on their meds the same day that they have surgery, or immediately the next day.." (with her "holier than thou" look on her face) I was shocked, I mean come on, she was the one who told me we'd discuss my meds at my post op appointment 2 weeks after!
I am writing her a letter, I'd like to confront her in person but I am so not that type of person and I don't want to cause a scene in front of other patients. I know she's a good doctor, but I feel like I should find another one because I frankly just don't like the way she treats me. (Like I said the above example I gave you is just one of many) After she reads my letter she probably won't want me as a patient anymore anyway, not that I think she ever really did to begin with.. (if I knew how to make one of those little frustrated faces from my keyboard I would insert it here.. )
Thanks for letting me vent.. so completely frustrated..

I would ask for a complete set of your medical records from her office and then find a new Doc. You shouldn't stick with a Dr that you don't feel 100% comfortable with.
ReplyDeleteMike
I would tell what I think in person and then go find me another Dr. Shell will not go to a womman Dr for just that reason; they always seem to try to make you feel less of a human being; that Dr. deserves your wrath in person; you might just find that she buckles when confronted..but your choice of course..Carole(shelly's Mom)
ReplyDeleteOh Clarissa...I am sorry! She obvioulsy is not up to par with what is going on and frankly I would be a little worried. I would definitly change doctors and find someone who knows what to do. How long has she been practicing? I would think that most doctors would be on board with when to prescribe meds after surgery. Can this mistake be harmful? Definitly find a new doctor and let her know how you feel :( I am sorry!
ReplyDelete