Monday, June 14, 2010

WHO NEEDS A THYROID ANYWAY??

Definitely NOT me! Especially not mine, it has given me grief for 15 years. So on Friday June 25 I will be having a thyroidectomy, hasta la vista baby!

Back when I was 18 I found out I had multi nodular goiters all over my thyroid, at that point I wasn't having any symptoms of hyper/hypo thryroidism, I just needed to keep an eye on it. Flash forward to now, I have hyperthyroidism and have been struggling with the symptoms for quite some time now. I FINALLY went to see an endochrinologist back in March, I was tired of the mood swings, depression and just feeling "blah". Not so surprisingly my levels were extremely high and I found out that all these little "issues" I've been having were all due to my lovely thyroid. For those of you who don't know, if your thyroid ain't happy, ALOT of your body ain't happy! It was such a relief to hear that there was actually a reason for me feeling the way I was feeling.

My doctor put me on meds to get my levels under control, but I ended up having an allergic reaction to it and had to stop taking it. (I was actually starting to feel "normal" again so I wasn't too happy that I had to stop the meds, neither was my hubby) Now I'm back to that "blah" feeling, and the heart palpitations are back more severe than before. In fact I ended up in the ER Saturday with my girls in tow; our girls shopping trip had to take a detour! The tightness in my chest along with the fact that I really couldn't catch my breath, my head was swimming, hands and face were tingling.. I knew this wasn't good. By the time I walked into the ER I couldn't even sign the paperwork b/c I was shaking so bad and so lightheaded. It was horrible! After 3 hours of blood work, an EKG and trying to get my heart rate stable I finally went home with the knowledge that yes, this was due to my thyroid. Stupid thyroid! So until surgery I am on beta blockers to reduce the risk of that happening again. My mom is coming up today to help out (YAY!) and to drive me and the girls around since my hubby refuses to let me get behind the wheel.. love that over-protective man of mine!

Looking forward to June 25 so I can finally be on the road to getting back to normal, whatever that may be!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad there is a solution!! Praying for you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you figured out the culprit! Praying that you have a easy road ahead...a pleasant surgical experience and recovery. So happy your mom will be there to help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet june 25 can't get here fast enough! good luck and will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete